I am a huge fan of mushrooms. I could live purely on mushrooms and be a happy little mama. So, finding a good mushroom soup recipe was a must for this particular vegan household.
I tried plenty of “Best Mushroom Soup Ever” recipes that I found on Pinterest, and though they were all pretty good, none of them were exactly what I was looking for. Then came the holiday season, when Green Bean Casserole is definitely a necessity. So, we created our own mushroom soup – and it was PERFECTION.
It is a replacement for CONDENSED Cream of Mushroom Soup, so use it in any recipe that you would use a condensed can of Cream of Mushroom, and you will be pleased with the outcome. We had both vegan and non-vegan green bean casserole for Christmas this year, as we have plenty of family not willing to sway from the traditionalist meal, and our vegan green bean casserole was preferred for it’s rich and fresh taste. The only difference between the two were the soup and milk ingredients.
- 1lb fresh white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 1/4 flour
- 2tbs corn starch
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup water
- Nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder
- Sweat mushrooms with vegan butter over medium heat until most of the water evaporates.
- Add vegetable oil and flour and let cook for a few minutes.
- Stir corn starch with some of the almond milk, add to pan.
- Add remaining almond milk and water and bring to slight boil.
- Add salt, nutritional yeast and garlic powder to taste.